picnicking

i have a confession to make. i don't like to "do stuff." i really don't. planned activities make me nervous. board games make me want to kill someone. needing to be somewhere at a specific time gives me anxiety. itineraries are the devil. whenever i'm asked about my "hobbies" I panic. mostly because these are the only things i really like to do:
  • work
  • sleep
  • eat food (restaurant reservations are the only sort of appointment i want to keep)
  • shop for clothes and shoes
  • read things on the internet
  • play with my phone (but not talk on the phone)
  • swim
  • watch TV
  • throw stuff out/donate stuff
one time i tried to scrapbook and it made me want to slit my wrists.

 now, i realize my unwillingness to "do stuff" is sort of ... difficult. and i realize that i am totally the weird one in most social situations. and believe me, i totally beat myself up about the fact that i'm just so unmotivated to:
  • TAKE THE BULL BY THE HORNS!*
  • SEIZE THE DAY!
  • LIVE LIFE TO THE FULLEST!
  • JUST DO IT!
but! i think i've found a summer-time activity that will unite the lazy (me) with the rest of society. that activity is PICNICKING.


oh man. i can really get behind all this sitting and sunning and eating and then sleeping.

the next time someone asks me what my hobbies are, I'm totally going to say "buying Ferragamos and going to picnics."


*i thought this saying was "grab life by the horns" until my husband pointed out that life does not have horns.

2 comments:

Meghan said...

YES to picnics. I think it's a fantastic hobby - especially if they involve wine!

Kimberly Julie said...

I think about this all. the. time! I don't actually *do* much of anything... Sports are far too time-consuming and exhausting. Reading makes me sleepy.

Maybe I should take a cue from you and start small...